Broussard Legal

Learning About Police Brutality & Misconduct Preparedness

Federal laws that address police misconduct include both criminal and civil statutes. These laws cover the actions of State, county, and local officers. And while many people may not be aware, there are several laws that also apply to Federal law enforcement officers. In an ideal world, we expect the laws to work to protect all persons in the United States; this includes citizens and non-citizens alike. However, we all know the justice system isn’t “just” at all. 

What happens when the laws don’t work for you and you encounter a police officer who is undoubtedly violating your civil rights? During these unpredictable and immensely uncertain times, how have you proactively prepared yourself to protect your rights and the rights of your family? Inhumane and brutal misconduct by disreputable police officers in this country has become the norm and not the exception. The United States legal system has unfortunately not yet evolved past blatant racism, nepotism, and favoritism; where these concepts are sustained, justice will forever be denied.

Reporting Police Brutality to the Department of Justice (DOJ)

The Department of Justice handles both criminal and civil cases. If you believe that a police officer you or a family member have encountered, has violated a criminal law then you are able to file a complaint with the DOJ. Send your complaint in writing to:

Criminal Section
Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
P.O. Box 66018
Washington, D.C. 20035-6018

If you believe that the police violated a civil law such as the Police Misconduct Statute or Title VI of the Civil Rights Act then you can send a written complaint to:

Coordination and Review Section
Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
P.O. Box 66560
Washington, D.C. 20035-6560

Either type of formal complaint should include the following basic information about your specific claim:

  • Your name and contact information.
  • The name of the officer and law enforcement agency involved in the incident.
  • A detailed description of what happened.
  • Contact information for anyone who may have witnessed what happened.

The Department of Justice may advise you of your rights, but it will not act as your lawyer. You do, however, have the right to work with a police brutality attorney to make sure that all of your rights are protected and that you are seeking justice from all the appropriate sources.

We encourage you to contact our experienced team at the Law Office of Victoria Broussard if you’ve been hurt or if you or a loved one has been hurt or killed due to an act of police brutality. We welcome the opportunity to discuss your case. 

To schedule a free, 15-minute consultation, please visit our website online or call our office directly at (512) 963-7094. Thank you, please stay safe and vigilant. 

Recent Posts

Inmate Rights

It is no secret the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) has historically mistreated prisoners with mental illnesses. In June of 2017, the Bureau of Justice Statistics

Read More »